Y-STR Kinship-Index Calculation
Calculate the likelihood ratio of patrilineal relationship versus non-relationship of male pairs given their Y-STR profiles. The calculation takes
- The profile of the ancestor ("upstream" male relative)
- The profile of the offspring ("downstream" male relative)
- The number of transmission events (often referred to as 'meiosis' or 'generation') between the male relatives
Please see Buckleton JS., Triggs CM., Walsh SJ. (2005), Forensic DNA evidence interpretation, 1st ed., CRC press and our documentation on the actual implementation at YHRD.
Limitation of this method
- Only one-step events are considered. E.g. it is impossible to explain a three-step difference with two transmission events.
- The relation between exactly two persons (ancestor and offspring) is calculated